Categories
Racing

Goodwood Festival of Speed postponed

Goodwood’s popular Festival of Speed event is the latest motorsport fixture to be postponed due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

The 9-12 July event normally attracts around 200,000 spectators and features a hillclimb competition, along with countless demonstration runs and a wealth of static displays.

On Tuesday, Motorsport UK – motorsport’s governing body – announced that all event permits would be suspended until the end of June at the earliest.

But Goodwood’s organisers have now taken the decision to postpone the Festival of Speed amid the current uncertainty over when restrictions on mass gatherings imposed by the UK government will be lifted.

“Over the last few weeks, we have been working together with everyone involved to understand the viability of the Festival of Speed going ahead in July,” said the Duke of Richmond.

“Due to the uncertainty of the coronavirus threat and not knowing whether the situation will have significantly improved by then, we sadly need to postpone the Festival of Speed in July.”

The event is now set to take place in either late summer or early autumn.

The Festival of Speed is the second of Goodwood’s three main motorsport events to be affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, after its Members’ Meeting – which was due to take place this weekend – was also postponed.

Related video

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Racing

F2 and F3 races in Bahrain postponed

Following on from the postponement of the Bahrain Grand Prix, the F2 and F3 events for that weekend have also been shelved.

It was announced on Friday that the Bahrain Grand Prix, which would have been round two of the 2020 Formula 1 season, as well as round three in Vietnam had been postponed.

Understandably the F2 and F3 races which would have supported the Bahrain Grand Prix for their season-opening rounds, have also been postponed.

The official statement confirmed that the decision had been reached “conjointly with the FIA and F1”.

“We’re sorry we have to postpone our opening round,” said F2 and F3 CEO Bruno Michel.

“But of course the safety of everyone in our paddock and the fans has to come first.”

The teams spent three days at the Bahrain International Circuit in March for pre-season testing, and it’s hoped the races can be rescheduled for another date.

“We conducted our pre-season tests at Sakhir and we’re looking forward to racing there as soon as possible,” he said.

“We will communicate a revised 2020 F2 and F3 calendar at a later date.”

The FIA and Formula 1 have said they “expect” the season to get underway at the end of May – the next scheduled race for F2 is at Zandvoort from May 1-3, with a trip to the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya then planned for the following week.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Racing

Thailand MotoGP race to be postponed – report

Thailand’s MotoGP round will be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, according to a report quoting the country’s deputy prime minister.

According to a report from AFP, deputy prime minister Anutin Charnvirakul – who is also Thailand’s health minister – has confirmed that the race will be postponed from its March 22 date.

“I don’t say it’s cancelled, I just say it is postponed until time allows us to do [the event],” Anutin told AFP.

“It’s because of the coronavirus. We need to postpone it today until further notice.

“We have to go along with the circumstances worldwide and it is in the best interests of the nation as well as the participants.”

The postponement is yet to be formally confirmed by Dorna.

The season-opening Qatar race has already been called off due to increasingly strict travel limitations, particularly for Italy.

As it stands Formula 1 has only officially postponed the Chinese Grand Prix, with Australian Grand Prix organisers still confident the Albert Park race will go ahead in a little over a week.

Source: Read Full Article