Categories
Auto News

MCO: Stringent enforcement working, fewer arrests

Stricter enforcement against those defying the movement control order (MCO) appears to be working, because the number of offenders are dropping, said senior minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said that the number of people being arrested for MCO-related offences had decreased over the past couple of days, The Star reports. On Saturday, the police arrested 368 individuals during the patrols and roadblocks, and this was an improvement over Friday, when there were 413 arrests, he said during a press briefing yesterday.

He explained that some who were arrested were charged under the Penal Code, which brought a harsher penalty. “Some not only disobeyed the MCO, but also prevented public officials from carrying out their duties,” he said.

Ismail reminded Malaysians to continue to give their full cooperation to authorities during the MCO, and to not challenge the police or hinder the cops from carrying out their duties. In response to reports that the police was now adopting a harsher approach, he said that the police was just doing its job to protect the public and ensure compliance.

“Please cooperate with the police. Do not try to hinder their job or insult them. The ‘mood’ in terms of police enforcement has changed from counseling to being stricter, but what the police has done is not out of the ordinary, because it is to ensure the safety and welfare of the people. So, the police are doing this to help us all. So, cooperate with them,” he said.

He said the police, with the assistance of the army, conducted 745 roadblocks across the country and inspected 331,839 vehicles on Saturday.


The government has introduced tighter measures in the second phase of the MCO. This includes increasing the number of round-the-clock operations in many areas, including Subang Jaya and Gombak district. The cops have also been nabbing joyriders, and have been sentencing them almost immediately.

In MCO phase two, supermarkets, grocers, restaurants providing takeaways and petrol stations are all limited to 8am-8pm operating hours, and the same goes for food delivery services. Public transport operation hours are now from 6am to 10am and 5pm to 10pm daily, while taxis and ride-hailing vehicles will be permitted to operate from 6am to 10pm.

Please continue to heed the call to stay at home, and if you do head out, be mindful of the 10 km limit for the radius of travel and adhere to the one-person-per-car rule.

Tags: COVID-19

Related Cars for Sale on









Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Auto News

More stringent enforcement of MCO soon, with tighter rules and regulations to be introduced in phase two

Has the movement control order (MCO), which began on March 18 and now extended to April 14, been effective at keeping people at home or where they are? Despite public compliance said to be at around 95% and 110 arrests having being made for flouting the order, this doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not in the Klang Valley today, judging by the increased levels of traffic reported earlier in certain parts.

Roadblocks have been put in place to curb unnecessary movement by the public, and it was reported that 163,487 vehicles were checked by the police in 1,719 areas yesterday. That, however, hasn’t deterred many from attempting the drive out beyond getting food and supplies nearby.

Some of the excuses provided to cops at roadblocks have been quite astounding. These have ranged from needing to go to the office to water the plant, sending a cake and buying a newspaper to going out of the way to seek out a special dish or to buy tools. Some have even been stopped for having more than one occupant in a car.

Well, there’s news for you, folks, because it’s going to get tougher to do that soon, as The Star reports. According to defence minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, stricter regulations will be enforced during the second phase of the MCO to ensure the measures taken to break the Covid-19 chain of infection achieves the desired goals.

He said under the ongoing first phase of the MCO, people have been allowed to move around, with some restrictions, but this could soon change. “The national security council (NSC) has been asked to draft a new standard operating procedure for phase two of the MCO, where the rules and regulations are tighter and more stringent than what is in place now. So after this, there will be more restrictions imposed,” he said.

He did not reveal what the new measures would be, but said that the NSC would present the new standard operating procedure this Saturday, March 28.

Once again, we remind everyone that if it is absolutely necessary for you to get provisions, medical supplies and food, please make it fast and limit the distance travelled for those purposes, and remember the one person per car rule. You can try switching to delivery services for food as much as possible, or at least on alternate occasions, in a bid to heed the government’s call to just stay at home. Very soon, you might have no choice but to, all because of those that have refused to comply.

Tags: COVID-19

Related Cars for Sale on









Source: Read Full Article