Fernando Alonso explains the reasons behind his shock move to Aston Martin
Fernando Alonso has hailed Aston Martin’s “absolute commitment to winning” as a major factor in his move to Aston Martin.
The two-time former World Champion was named as Sebastian Vettel’s successor at Aston Martin just four days after the German announced his retirement.
Considering Vettel’s exit at the end of the season was reported to have come as a surprise to the team, who had said only days earlier they had no “plan B”, they have moved impressively quickly to sign up Alonso on a multi-year contract.
The Spaniard had been in contract renewal talks with Alpine, whom he joined on his return to Formula 1 in 2021, but Alonso said he had been attracted by the ambitious project at Aston Martin.
“This Aston Martin team is clearly applying the energy and commitment to win, and it is therefore one of the most exciting teams in Formula 1 today,” said Alonso, who turned 41 three days before the shock announcement.
“I have known Lawrence and Lance Stroll for many years and it is very obvious they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula 1.
“ I have watched as the team has systematically attracted great people with winning pedigrees and I have become aware of the huge commitment to new facilities and resources at Silverstone.
“Nobody in Formula 1 today is demonstrating a greater vision and absolute commitment to winning, and that makes it a really exciting opportunity for me.
“I still have the hunger and ambition to fight to be at the front, and I want to be part of an organisation that is committed to learn, develop and succeed.
“We all appreciate there is much to be done to get to the front, and that we must apply all our energies in working together to find performance.
“The passion and desire to perform I have witnessed convince me to maintain my enjoyment and commitment to the sport. I intend to win again in this sport and therefore I have to take the opportunities that feel right to me.”
🚨 BREAKING NEWS: El Plan is moving to Aston Martin as @alo_oficial signs to replace Sebastian Vettel for 2023! #F1
— PlanetF1 (@Planet_F1) August 1, 2022
Lawrence Stroll, the Aston Martin executive chairman, hailed Alonso as being a “committed winner” very much in his own mould.
“I have known and admired Fernando for many years and it has always been clear he is a committed winner like me,” said the Canadian.
“I have set out to bring together the best people and develop the right resources and organisation to succeed in this highly competitive sport, and those plans are now taking shape at Silverstone.
“It seemed natural therefore to invite Fernando to be part of the development of a winning team, and we very quickly established in our recent conversations that we have the same ambitions and values, and it was logical and easy to confirm our desire to work together.”
In less shocking news, Lance Stroll has also been confirmed as the other half of Aston Martin’s 2023 driver line-up.
Source: Read Full Article