Upgraded from WagonR AMT to Carens DCT: Highlighting 3 pros & 3 cons
The XL6 was cheaper but the Carens, although expensive had a way better interior, more comfort and power
BHPian Raghav07 recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
Hello to all,
In April of this year, my uncle took delivery of a Kia Carens Luxury Plus 1.5 DCT 7 Str in Imperal Blue color. I have been in the car a couple of times and I have to say, its the perfect car for big Indian families.
Sharing a few pictures from delivery day. I was pleased to be there. Delivery was done at Kia Moters Pondicherry.
The ODO is at 3100 km. Of that 3.1k , only 800 km is highway driving. Most of this cars driving is in Chennai city! Due to my uncles sedate driving and 99 percent use of Eco mode, the car returns 7-10 kmpl in city and an impressive 14-15 on the highway. My uncle usually doesn’t cross 100 and is VERY gentle on the accelerator
Why my uncle needed a new car:
The 2018 WagonR AMT Silver was doing its job well and my uncle is pleased with the product. 50k km in 5 years and no issues whatsoever. It was actually the first automatic car in my dads side family.(Now, all but one car in the fleet is manual). But since his parents moved in with him, the WagonR doesn’t fit 6 people comfortably, so he needed a bigger car.
- 6/7 seater
- Preferably MPV
- Maruti Ciaz – The Ciaz was the first choice but quickly dropped due to the need for a 6 seater car.
- Maruti XL6 – Considered due to affordability, the 6 speed AT transmission and good space. Also worked well with the WagonR.
- Kia Carens- Considered due to premium feel and features, good looks and powerful engine options and a good automatic.
The battle between the Carens and XL6:
This dilemma took a month to settle. The XL6 was cheaper but the Carens, although expensive had a way better interior, more comfort and power compared to the XL6. My cousins also wanted a new product from another company and liked the features of the Carens. All the video reviews pointed in favour of the Carens as well. So, my uncle chose the Carens.
Which variant to choose?
The Petrol DCT was available in 2 variants. Prestige Plus and Luxury Plus. Again this debate was on for quite some time but in the end Luxury Plus won due to more features and premium interior.
- Powerful petrol engine. 160 HP is excellent and 253 NM of torque is enough to carry my uncle and his family anywhere. Mileage depends on the driver. My uncle once achieved 18 kmpl on a highway run.
- Interiors. The white interiors don’t get hot in summer and look nice. The ventilated seats again are a boon in summer and the ICE and climate controls feel excellent to operate.
- 3rd row space. I am 5’5 and I feel the third row space is excellent. Usually I hate the third row but in this MPV, its fine. People around the same height as me can comfortably sit here.
- Digital Tach and Speedometer. My uncles hated this feature at first but has got used to it. Everyone prefers normal dials. This month, the Carens has got a new drivers display with much better dials. Why Kia now!
- Thin tires. When viewed from the back, it looks like the Carens has small tires. Could have been a bit wider but the diamond cut alloys look very good.
- Wired Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The Prestige Plus has wireless. Can someone explain this properly?
Well that concludes my first post of my uncles Carens. Probably one of my favorite cars in the family fleet.(Will make a thread about the fleet shortly). I would rate the car a 9/10.
Hope you find this post useful. thank you and have a great day!
Check out BHPian comments for more insights and information.
Source: Read Full Article